Pages

LinkedIn

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Inspirational Speech By Jeff Bezos

I think its common knowledge that the best way to learn something, is from first hand experience. The second best way is by listening to someone with first hand experience. Because my goal is to become a serial CEO, I always look for opportunities to learn from people of that ilk. They don't have to lead many companies, like I want to do eventually, but if they have built a company their own way, become a leader in their sector, and are seemingly upstanding, then I relish the chances to hear from them.

Jeff Bezos is the founder of Amazon.com, the leading online retailer in the world. For this assignment, I was lucky enough to stumble upon his speech in the TED.com section "Best of the Web. Mr. Bezos addressed his Alma Mater, Princeton, during a commencement and spoke on the difference between gifts, and choices. 

Jeff started out with a childhood story about his beloved trips with his grandparents, specifically his grandmother's smoking habit. He said he was able to calculate how many years she had shaved off of her life by experts' estimation. Sharing the news with his grandmother that smoking had cost her 9 years of her life saddened her, and he did not quite understand why. I was confused as to where this was headed at first, but the story ended with his grandfather saying "being clever is a gift, being kind is a choice."

He then explained the circumstances that led him to create Amazon, and how his life was fine, but he had to make that CHOICE because he did not want to regret not every following his dreams. He discussed how gifts are great, but that everyone has gifts. What separates people from one another is the choices we make, and those choices make us great or the status quo.

I think his speech was impactful because of the setting and audience. If he gave this speech to a room full of peers, I'm sure it would have some impact, but not as much. To give this message to young college students on the edge of their adult lives, worked. Myself being a young adult, was able to see value in his words and use them as motivation. My choices today, tomorrow, and forever are ultimately what shape my destiny and determine what type of legacy I will leave. They must be thought out, positive, and uphold the values and morals that I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment